About this Business
Every November, the GIRAF Animation Festival unpacks at the Globe Cinema for a multi-day celebration of independent, underground, and experimental animation. The annual event showcases works from some of the industry's top artists, as well as pieces that might not otherwise be seen at other festivals. Here's what else you should know:
- Who runs it: the Quickdraw Animation society, an artist-run non-profit center based in Calgary
- What GIRAF stands for: It's an acronym for Giant Incandescent Resonating Animation Festival.
- On display The festival showcases Canadian animators and presents unique animations from all around the world.
- Why it's unique: Not just any animations can make it in—GIRAF picks works that push the boundaries with new techniques, hybrid forms of creation, and challenging subject matter.
- Extras: Workshops, artist talks, and activities throughout the festival focus on further cementing animation as an art form.